MODESTO-STANISLAUS POETRY CENTER
THE SECOND ANNUAL LEE NICHOLSON – GEORGE ROGERS POETRY CONTEST
DEADLINE: MARCH 1, 2018
ABOUT LEE NICHOLSON AND GEORGE ROGERS
Beloved by generations of their students, Lee Nicholson and George Rogers dedicated much of their lives to teaching and inspiring the youth of our community. Lee Nicholson was an instructor at Modesto Junior College for thirty-two years, and had earlier taught at Turlock High School. A Modesto native, George Rogers taught for thirty years at Orville Wright Elementary School in Modesto. Both Lee and George were highly accomplished poets and lovers of the creative process, and both will long be remembered for their passionate devotion to the young people whose lives they touched.
This contest is open to all poets residing in Stanislaus County who are 16 to 25 years of age.
• Send up to three (3) poems, with subjects and themes of your own choosing
• Poems must be typed in 12 point, Times New Roman, with 1-inch margins
• 32 line limit; longer poems will not be considered
• Poems must be the poet’s original work and previously unpublished
• If sending through regular mail, please send two copies of each poem – one copy with the poet’s name, address, email, phone number in the upper right hand corner, as well as the title of the poem, and a second copy of the poem, with the title of the poem, but without the poet’s name, address, e-mail, and phone number.
• If sending through email, send poems as doc or docx attachments (one attachment with page divisions is fine; three attachments with one poem each is fine); include two copies of each poem – one copy with the poet’s name, address, email, phone number in the upper right hand corner, as well as the title of the poem and a second copy of the poem, with the title of the poem, but without the poet’s name, address, e-mail, and phone number; include CONTEST in the subject line of the email
2 ways to submit:
Through regular mail to
MoSt Poetry Center
PO Box 578940
Modesto, CA 95357
Or by email to email@example.com
(Don’t forget to include the word CONTEST in the subject line of the email.
First Place (awarded for best poem): $50.00
Second Place: $30.00
Third Place: $20.00
Submission dates: November 1, 2017 to March 1, 2018
Poets will be notified via email or phone of winning status by March 15, 2018
Selected poems will be published in a chapbook. All poets submitting
poems will receive two (2) copies of the chapbook
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org